Saturday, August 22, 2009

Back from Vacation! Book Review 1...

Well, I'm back from our fantastic trip to Colorado!! Pictures will be uploaded later at some point... I'm arguing with Facebook right now about them, and don't really want to mess with it on here too! :(
I read three books over vacation, though! The last one was just on the flight home... super easy read!


Book one: The Honorable Imposter
First, I read The Honorable Imposter by Gilbert Morris. I am a big fan of the series that he and his daughter Lynn wrote, Cheney Duvall, M.D. This book is the first in a LARGE series, The House of Winslow.

The book occurs during the era of the Mayflower. It focuses on Gilbert Winslow (gee, I wonder where they got the name...) and his endeavor of spying on the Separatists. This is going on when those who separate from the church of England are looked down upon greatly, and sometimes considered traitors to the Crown. However, as the title implies, Gilbert has some qualms about the idea of being a spy...
The book takes him from the beginning when he is offered the spy position and wealth, to the end when... I'll let you read to find out. (But if you want to know, I have no problems with telling people-just no posting it on here!) :)

Overall, it has the same flaws that I find in the Duvall series. The transformations when people find Christ are a little TOO dramatic, and some of the characters lack depth.
That being said, I do love these books. :) I think I started to read this series before, but couldn't get into it. I definitely could this time... and had a hard time putting it down! The plot was fascinating, and I really enjoyed (most of) the characters. In typical Morris style, the ending is fairly predictable. Not a very complicated read, but not a mindless read either.

The other book reviews will be posted as I write them... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment