Monday, August 10, 2009

Hello, and Skillet Chicken & Veggies

So I keep procrastinating on actually starting this blog... "I want to have a blog, I don't want to have a blog, I want to share my recipes, I don't want to do the one thing EVERYONE is doing..." you get the point.
Well, I finally decided I would.
(Really, I decided that I would last week, but as the nice people at the Apple store were fixing my computer, it couldn't happen until today.)

This is basically my place to talk about what is going on in life, share about the recent books I've read, and share the recipes I've tried recently. I love reading, and I love cooking, so I'm sure there will be lots to share.

Feel free to leave comments... especially if you have a book/recipe to share!



So, onto our recent recipes!

A couple weeks ago, we tried this great one from Taste of Home's Comfort Food book. The finished product looks kinds gross, but it tastes AMAZING. :)


Skillet Chicken & Veggies

1 package (7 oz) Spaghetti
1 Pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch strips
1 large garlic clove
1 Teaspoon dried basil
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1/2 Pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 medium Zucchini, julienned
1 Medium onion, chopped
1/2 Medium green pepper, chopped
1/2 Medium summer squash, julienned
3/4 Cup mayonnaise
4 Tablespoon grated parmesan cheese, divided

Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the chicken, garlic, and basil in oil for 2-3 minutes, or until garlic is tender. Add the mushrooms, zucchini, summer squash, onion, and pepper. Cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until chicken juices run clear and vegetables are crisp-tender.

Stir the mayo and 3 tbsp Parmesan cheese into chicken mixture. Drain spaghetti; top with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.


We liked the recipe... will definitely make this one again! I made some changes to the original recipe (the changes are reflected here). I am not a fan of red pepper, so I substituted that for summer squash... much better! Almost any veggies could be used here.

The best part about this recipe was the summer squash & zucchini... I LOVE both of them!! Nate is not as fond of them fried as I am, so this was a great way to have them without Nate thinking "not again!" We used to get them a lot from my parents/grandparents garden, but since we are living so far away, I had to buy them from Meijer. Because those & the green pepper were on sale the week I made this, it was all very reasonably priced! (Everything else I buy when it is on sale... :) )

More as I get our recent recipes added to my Recipe Manager!

No comments:

Post a Comment