Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cooking frenzy!

Well, since I didn't make dinner Friday or Saturday (dinner with the family both days), I made up for it today! Lots of things to post!

First, today's dinner:
Turkey with Mushrooms and Cream

(Taste of Home)


1 Package (17.6 oz) turkey breast slices
3 Tablespoon butter, divided
3/4 Cup water, divided
1/4 Cup unsweetened apple juice
2 Teaspoon chicken bouillon granules, divided
1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
1 Cup (8oz) sour cream
1 Pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
hot cooked rice


Instructions:
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook turkey in 2 tablespoons butter until golden brown and no pink remains. Remove and keep warm.
In the same skillet, combine 1/2 c water, apple juice, 1 t bouillon and pepper; cook and stir over medium heat until bouillon is dissolved. Stir in sour cream; heat through.
Meanwhile, in another skillet, combine the remaining butter, water, and bouillon; cook and stir over medium heat until bouillon is dissolved. Add mushrooms; cook for 10 minutes or until liquid is evaporated. Serve turkey over rice; top with cream sauce and mushrooms.

















So now, why the pictures do NOT look like they should:
One, I have learned (again) to check the dates on my mushrooms when I buy fresh ones in the store. These were dated for the day after I bought them... which was just last week. Bought them Sunday, dated for Monday. And they were NASTY when I went to use them today. So, skipped that part.
Reason two... I was so annoyed about the mushrooms I totally forgot about the rice. Completely. Oops. (Or at least that's the reason I want to use... sounds better than saying I'm an idiot.)

The only problem (other than my silliness) was that the cream sauce was very... sour-cream-y. Very. Might cut down on that next time.

Other than that, Nate & I both said this is a recipe we would try again! (Correctly, next time. I promise.)


Before dinner snack (for Nathan):
Corn Muffins
(Better Homes & Garden Cookbook)


1 Cup Flour
3/4 Cup Cornmeal
2-3 Tablespoon Sugar
2 1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
3/4 Teaspoon Salt
2 beaten eggs
1 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup cooking oil/melted butter

Instructions: In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine eggs, milk, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened.


Spoon batter into 12 greased 2 1/2" muffin cups, filling cups 2/3 full.














Bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until lightly browned and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.












The really sad part about the fact that I remembered to take pictures THROUGHOUT the process is that Nate was not very fond of these. He couldn't really say what to do to fix it... so I probably would not try this again.

(I don't like corn muffins/cornbread in general, so I had no opinion, other than I thought they looked pretty!)














After dinner snack:
Pumpkin Streusel Muffins
(Taste of Home)


1/4 Cup butter, softened
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup packed brown sugar
2/3 Cup canned pumpkin
1/2 Cup Buttermilk
2 Eggs
2 Tablespoon Molasses
1 Teaspoon grated orange peel
2 Cup Flour
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
1/2-1 Teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 Teaspoon Salt


Streusel ingredients:
1/3 Cup Flour
3 Tablespoon brown sugar
2 Tablespoon cold butter

Instructions:
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add pumpkin, buttermilk, eggs, molasses, and orange peel; mix well. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to pumpkin mixture just until blended. Use paper liners or coat muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray; fill two-thirds full.
For topping, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.


My sexy husband helping me, cuz his clutzy wife burned her fingers. :)


















First of all, if you don't have a Better Homes and Gardens Cookbooks, GET ONE. I don't know how much they cost, but they are AMAZING. Or, just look up a substitutions list online. Pumpkin pie spice? Nope. Buttermilk? Nope. And I had no urge to buy either... for buttermilk, use 1 tablespoon vinegar + enough milk to make one cup, to make one cup of buttermilk. For pumpkin pie spice (one teaspoon): 1/2 t ground cinnamon, 1/4 t ground ginger, 1/4 t ground allspice, and 1/8 t ground nutmeg.
I never buy buttermilk, I always use that. And I don't think I will every buy pumpkin pie spice. :)

Second... you should make these. ASAP. They are spectacular! I was worried I wouldn't like them, but I LOVE them! Nate did too!


I made cinnamon swirl bread yesterday to take to Mama's house... but of course, no pictures. (And none left... I was a nice daughter & let Mama keep the leftovers!) I plan on making it again soon for us, so I will post pictures & the recipe when I do!

As always, let me know if you try something, or think something I have made sounds good!

No comments:

Post a Comment