Thursday, October 1, 2009

Spaetzle!!

So, I am kinda ashamed of myself. I was SO excited about blogging, and now it's been over a month since I posted something. Oops.
It's not like I haven't been cooking... I have. Quite a lot, actually. But I've been busy... internship, etc.
Ok, so I have no real excuses. Oh well. I'm apologizing, and forgiving myself because I am posting a FUN recipe tonight!
I found this recipe for Spaetzle (pronounced SPHET-sehl or something like that) the other day, and REALLY wanted to try it. One, it has a very fun name, two, it sounded like it would be fun to make, and three, it sounded yummy.



Spaetzle Dumplings


2 cups flour
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup milk
2 teaspoons salt
2 quarts water
1 tablespoon butter

In a large bowl, stir the flour, eggs, milk and salt until smooth (dough will be sticky). In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Pour dough into a colander or spaetzle maker coated with cooking spray; place over boiling water.

With a wooden spoon, press dough until small pieces drop into boiling water. Cook for 2 minutes or until dumplings are tender and float. Remove with a slotted spoon; toss with butter.


It was SLIGHTLY more difficult to make than I thought it would be, largely because pushing the dough through a colander took longer than expected... and someone needed to hold the colander, so the dough wasn't sitting in the boiling water the whole time!

It was well worth it, though. Aside from being a little salty, they were great. I loved them just plain!

These are originally from Germany/the area around it. Which is awesome, because my friend's German mother saw my status on facebook and said that the leftovers should be fried in a frying pan with a little butter. :) Since I had NO IDEA what we were going to do with the leftovers, I really appreciate that! They don't look like they would microwave well...

No comments:

Post a Comment