Saturday, October 10, 2009

Today I have been cooking like crazy! No-bakes in the morning (for when we visit my Daddy tomorrow, of course!), and a lot in the afternoon! Gingerbread men, a chocolate thing that I refuse to post because it turned out that bad, Shepherd's Pie for dinner, and spiced pumpkin bread in the evening (for my Mama for her birthday!).
The pumpkin bread recipe will be posted tomorrow, seeing that it's still cooking and won't be eaten til tomorrow. Can't review it if I haven't tried it! The gingerbread men will be reviewed tomorrow too. Largely because I'm not done with them... most aren't getting eaten, they are being used as decorations, and being given as a gift tomorrow! (Mama has a beautiful Christmas countdown quilt, but all the original gingerbread ornaments broke. So, I am replacing them as her birthday gift this year!) The ribbon will be added tomorrow...


So, you think you've had no-bakes before? Nope. Unless you've had Laurie's No-Bakes, you have not had them. Maybe a cheap imitation, but not the real thing.


No Bake Cookies
(My Mama-Laurie Curtis)


2 Cup Sugar
4 Tablespoon cocoa
1/4 Cup butter/margarine
1/2 Cup Milk
3/4 Cup peanut butter
2 1/2 cups oatmeal

Instructions:
Mix cocoa and sugar, set aside.
Put milk and butter in a saucepan; heat until butter is mostly melted. Add sugar mixture, stir well. Bring to a rolling boil. Boil for one minute, then remove from heat.
Quickly add oatmeal and peanut butter, stirring well. Spoon onto wax paper to cool.

So, what makes my Mama's cookies the best, you ask? (Aside from the fact that my mother is unable to cook something that does not taste amazing.) Really, it's the fact that she increases the PB & decreases the oatmeal. I think she actually uses just shy of 2 1/2 cups of oatmeal, but close enough.
If you've never had them like this, try it! I'm addicted to these cookies, but they are totally worth it.

(My ideal breakfast... although my husband did yell at me about it this morning!) :)
And no, I didn't eat all of those! Just one... maybe two. ;)














On to dinner....
Simple Shepherd's Pie
(TOH)

1 Pound ground beef
2 10.75oz can condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
3 Cup mixed veggies, thawed
4 Cup mashed potatoes (with added milk & butter)

Instructions:
In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the soup & veggies. Pour into a greased 11x7x2 baking dish. Top with potatoes.
Bake uncovered at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until heated through.

Simple, yet yummy! I pick different veggies every time... depending on my mood!
(If the picture doesn't look that great, it's because I forgot to take a picture at dinner. I took it outta the fridge for this... lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment