Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fall, anyone?

So, I forgot to post the pumpkin bread recipe.

Apparently, I also forgot to take a picture of the COOKED pumpkin bread. Whoops. Oh well, I'll post the recipe anyhow, because it was amazing. (If I do say so myself. Hehe!)

I also apparently forgot to take a picture of the finished gingerbread men... this was probably due to me finishing them (the ribbon) in the car, on the way to Mama's. Oh well, she liked them.
I had a couple defect ones left here... one of which will have to go on the calender, but the others were meant as extras. So, this is kinda ugly, but you get the idea. (Mind you, I've never made these before, so they weren't exactly beautiful. I do think the rest were prettier, though.)


Spiced Pumpkin Bread
(TOH)

3/4 Cup butter, softened
2 Cup Sugar
4 Eggs
2 Cup canned pumpkin
2/3 Cup orange juice
2 Tablespoon Molasses
1 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
3 1/3 Cup all-Purpose flour
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1 Teaspoon baking powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4-1 Teaspoon ground cloves

Instructions:
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the pumpkin, orange juice, molasses, and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to the creamed mixture and mix until blended.
Pour into two greased and floured 9x5x3 loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from the pans to wire racks.















(Then clean out the bowl... thoroughly.)
What, hunny, this isn't a flattering picture? No? Aw, but I think you're cute! ;)
















So, again, apologies for a lack of a picture. Trust me: it looked pretty (well, ok, each loaf was cracked, but it was still pretty), and it tasted AMAZING. I was kinda sad I left it all at Mama's, but since it was her birthday... :)

(Note: Original also called for 1 cup raisins & 1 cup chopped pecans, added after everything else. I don't like raisins or pecans, so I just skipped this part. It turned out fine.)


Gingerbread Men
(TOH)


2/3 Cup Shortening
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Molasses
1 Egg
3 Cup all-Purpose flour
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 Teaspoon ground ginger
1 Teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
confectioner's sugar icing, red-hot candies, miniature chocolate chips, optional

Instructions:
In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add molasses and egg; mix well. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt, and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion of dough to 1/8" thickness. Cut with a 4" cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 2" apart on greased baking sheets.









Bake at 350 for 9-11 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Decorate as desired.

Yields: ~ 2 dozen

I have to admit, I thought this was going to be a lot harder to make than it was. Maybe if they are prettier it is harder? :)

As I used these for ornaments, I did not do any decorating.
Also, if using small cookie cutters, recommend cooking 8 min or less.


As always... reviews/comments are lovely, and shall be rewarded. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment