Friday, October 9, 2009

Hearty Whole Wheat Bread...and couscous

I LOVE bread. A lot. Nathan is a whole grain bread type of guy, whereas I am more of a white bread girl. But, I am slowly trying to switch over... due the healthiness, and wanting to make my hubby happy. :) This bread is going to make that MUCH easier. It's good for you, but tastes yummy!

Hearty Whole Wheat Bread
(Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook)


3-3 1/2 Cup all-Purpose flour
2 1/4 Teaspoon active dry yeast
1 3/4 Cup Water
1/3 Cup packed brown sugar
3 Tablespoon butter, margarine, or shortening
1 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 1/2 Cup whole wheat flour
1/2 Cup toasted wheat germ

Instructions: In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups of the all-purpose flour and the yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and stir water, brown sugar, butter, and salt just until warm (120F-130F) and butter almost melts. Add water mixture to flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in whole-wheat flour and wheat germ, and as much of the remaining all-purpose flour as you can.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6-8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of the dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (1 to 1 1/2 hours).
Punch dough down. Turnout onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease two 8x4x2 loaf pans.
Shape dough halves into loaves by patting or rolling. To shape by patting, gently pat and pinch, tucking edges underneath. To shape by rolling, on a lightly floured surface roll each dough half into a 12x8 rectangle. Roll up each rectangle, starting from a short side. Seal seams with your fingertips.
Place shaped dough halves in prepared pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (30 to 45 minutes).
Bake in a 375 oven for 35-40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. If necessary, cover loosely with foil the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. Immediately remove bread from pans. Cool on wire racks.

(Because I got this from my Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook, it has all the following information. Another reason I adore that cookbook.)

Serves: 24
Yields: 2 loaves
Prep Time: 2 hrs
Cook Time: 35 min
Total Time: 2 h 35 m

Calories: 102
Cholesterol: 3 mg
Fat: 1 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Calories From Fat:
Protein: 4 g
Carbohydrates: 19 g
Sodium: 122 mg
Fiber: 2 g

The loaf that is cut is the one I rolled... I patted the other one into shape, so I could compare the two. I much preferred the rolling. It looked nicer, and for some reason, seemed to be less dry on the top. That may be a coincidence though.

I LOVE this recipe. Need I say anymore? :)



...on a totally unrelated topic, I'm curious if there is anyone in the world who actually likes couscous. Somehow I got it into my head that I SHOULD, so we've tried it. Multiple times. I made the following recipe, CERTAIN that this would make me like couscous.

I was wrong.

But, if YOU like couscous (one, tell me, because I am wondering what you have to do to make it taste yummy), but you might like the following recipe. :)


Cranberry Couscous
(TOH)


1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 1/2 Cup uncooked couscous
1/4 Cake dried cranberries
3 Tablespoon chopped green onions

Instructions:
In a large saucepan, bring broth and butter to a boil. Stir in the couscous, cranberries, and onions. Remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until broth is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.

I think it's the grainy-ness, but I just don't like it. Oh well. I tried very hard. :)

1 comment:

  1. I would try Israeli couscous. They are larger pearls and have a 'nuttier' flavour.
    The grainy-ness you tasted was probably from not putting enough liquid in. Its a fine balance that takes some time to learn your oven and likeness; too little = grainy, and too much = mush.
    Hope this helps some.

    ReplyDelete